The Zayed Centre for Research into Rare Disease in Children, London, has recently been awarded a BREEAM 'Excellent' Certification after utilising Frenger's exposed mounted X-Wing® Radiant Passive Chilled Beams. These Chilled Beams will be used to provide energy-efficient cooling throughout the building that will reduce its carbon emmissions by an incredible 35 percent less than required under current Building Regulations.
The revolutionary new 13,000m2 research centre is the latest addition to the Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) campus and will be used to drive new tests, treatments and cures for children with rare and complex diseases from lab bench to bedside. This impressive building spans across eight storeys and contains an academic research workspace, seminar & meeting spaces, specialist laboratories, and outpatient clinics.
Frenger's X-Wing® provides cooling by both convection and "Radiation". The products radiant proportion creates no air movement, the only air movement comes from the convective proportion. As cold water passes through the chilled beam the warm room air is cooled against the beam's cooler surfaces. This cooled air, which is heavier due to its higher density, then percolates through the punched louvres in the radiant wings. In this way air is circulated within the room, with warm air from the room being continually replaced by cooled air.
In addition to this convective cooling process, the cold surfaces of the beam (4 radiant wings per waterway) also absorb heat radiation from the building occupants and the warmer surrounding surfaces. X-Wing's® radiant quotient is approximately 40% of the total cooling effect (the other 60% of cooling being generated by the convective cooling effect described above). The ability of X-Wing® to cool by radiant absorption means that, when compared to a finned tube battery, Frenger's X-Wing® can deliver circa 40% more cooling without any additional air movement, hence approximately 40% less risk of draft.
The efficiency of the convection process, coupled with the ability of the product to provide radiant absorption (exchange energy by way of long-wave radiation), means that X-Wing® retains a high cooling effect even when the air temperature in the room is relatively low (e.g. at night or when the building is unoccupied). In this way large amounts of cold energy can be stored in the thermal mass of the building structure during low load periods and used to offset heat gains when the need arises at peak load times.
X-Wing® has no moving parts and as such is extremely low maintenance. This product has a life expectancy of 30 plus years and is constructed from a single sinusoidal copper coil that has no joints whatsoever thus eliminating any risk of water leakage. Each sinusoidal coil is formed in-house by Frenger on their state of the art full CNC serpentine bend machine from drums of copper tubing that are each a thousand metre long before being decoiled.
You can learn more about the benefits of Frenger's Radiant Passive Chilled Beams by clicking the button below. Alternatively, if you have any questions relating to Frenger's projects or products, then you can contact us on 61 2 9006 1147 or firstname.lastname@example.org.